An email was sent to Tony, N3ZN, enquiring if there were alternative fingerpieces to the stock ones that came with the key. I was informed there was no alternative to the stock fingerpieces available. Within several minutes of receiving that email response, a quick online search resulted in one person making fingerpieces for the N3ZN keys. I thought they were quite pricey coupled with thinking that a set could be made for what was really desired – keeping my wrist at a natural position when operating.
Several small 12x12-inch sheets of black plexiglass were ordered. There was some preparation work to be done though while waiting for the plexiglass to arrive.
The ZN-SL’s fingerpieces were removed with one being scanned-in. In Visio, that fingerpiece image was inserted and sized to 100% of their overall measured size, 26.25 x 38.5 mm. That “template” was then used as the basis for a new fingerpiece outline. The focus was getting the soon-to-be fabricated fingerpieces to extend down towards the operating surface. I elected to get the fingerpieces’ “ear” down to about even with the bottom of the key’s base. The overall size was targeted to be about 43 x 38 mm.
A 45 mm wide strip along the edge of the recently arrived 12 x 12-inch black plexiglass was cut on the band saw with a new 24-TPI blade. That strip was then cut into ~40 mm blocks. That gave me 6 blocks. The blocks were stacked on top of each other using several strips of 2-sided scrapbook tape between each block’s protective surface paper with each block’s uncut and true straight edge being aligned and flat. That flat edge was now the reference for measurements and forming. A cutout of the new shape’s outline drawing was taped to the top block using the 2-sided scrapbook tape
The new fingerpieces rough shape was cutout from the block using the band saw. Between using a combination disc and belt sander for the outside curves, and a small ~1-inch round sanding “tube” inserted in the small drill press for the tight inside curve, the overall shape of the new fingerpieces were made. The two (2) mounting holes were measured, marked, and drilled.
The only regret is failing to get pictures of the cutout and forming of the 6-stack “fingerpiece block” (with it still being winter and the small space heater on, I was only out in the garage for maybe an hour or so each time due to getting cold).
 Even though a docked MacBook Pro 15-inch (2019) is used exclusively, Microsoft’s Windows 10 runs within the Parallels application. That allows me to run a few ‘Windows only” ham radio and other applications such as Visio.
 I find it much easier to work with metric, and especially with small items. Note: I used to live and work overseas for about half of my career. Personally, I really wish the US would “go metric” as it is just so much easier to work with.